Monday, May 19, 2014

End of Semester Reflection

I know, I know! Once again its been too long in between posts. I am going to really work on doing shorter, more frequent posts/updates. I just re-read my last post and so I wanted to update about some of my goals. In particular my goal to work on incorporating concept maps into my classes.


Ecology End of Unit


Write Up Under Web
Ecology End of Unit
Ecology End of Unit


I have been concept map obsessed this semester! But it seems to be working! I am so impressed with the improvement I've seen. Not only on the students part, but also on my part. I've figured out what words to use and how to structure the directions. My favorite part of concept mapping is that I can really tell if the students understood the concepts or not. The level of thinking is so much higher than just regurgitating information from a textbook or the internet. As you will see from my pictures, it is also a really quick way to check for understanding and pick out big misconceptions or issues with content. For example, I could tell right away that my students were still struggling with heterogeneous mixtures vs. homogenous mixtures. So here's some pics to show you.








Enough with the concept maps!  The final project I ended this semester with was a joint project with Biology and Contemporary Literature. We used the Hunger Games as an anticipatory set and did a mini unit on Genetic Engineering, which culminated with a debate.  I feel like I ended on a positive note with high engagement. Time for vacation!   I'll try to update more once I've had my brain break! Happy Summer!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment